Most Common Complications of Whiplash InjuryJuly 25, 2022
Whiplash: 3 Types of Treatment OptionsAugust 21, 2022
Whiplash is a common injury that affects the neck and spine. Whiplash can be caused by a car accident, sports injuries, or other traumatic situations.
For those who have been injured in any of these ways, it is important to know how to treat whiplash with home remedies and treatment options to prevent suffering from long-term effects.
This blog post will discuss some treatments for whiplash from top professionals in the field who specialize in treating this type of injury. Ways to prevent future episodes after a collision or fall will also be touched on, as well as steps to take in the event of complications, such as numbness, headaches, difficulty sleeping, dizziness, and nausea.
The following remedies and treatments are meant to alleviate the symptoms of mild or moderate whiplash:
- Rest at home whenever possible. If your neck hurts, then it’s best not to do anything too strenuous. It would also be a good idea to take things slower for a few days.
- Do not do things that will make symptoms worse. This includes driving, twisting and turning, or sudden movements.
- In some cases, nutritional supplements may help.
- Apply ice packs for 15 minutes every two hours to help reduce the swelling.
- It is normal to feel pain and inflammation after an injury. Taking over-the-counter medication may help to reduce the pain.
- Use heat therapy if cold therapy does not work well enough by using heating pads, warm showers, or baths.
*Always check with your doctor before starting any new treatment regimen.
Using Alternative Medicine For Whiplash
Whiplash is a surprisingly common injury and there are many people who have tried non-traditional therapies to treat their pain. Some of these treatments include:
A chiropractor is a professional who helps patients with backache and other joint problems. The manipulation techniques they use can provide pain relief in most cases, but there’s some evidence that shows when paired up with exercise or physical therapy this treatment might be even more effective at relieving your pains.
Acupuncture is a type of alternative medicine that involves inserting ultrafine needles through specific areas of the skin. It has been shown to offer some relief from neck pain for those who suffer from it, but the science behind its effectiveness isn’t fully understood yet. It’s best to get an expert opinion before undergoing this treatment.
Some short-term relief from whiplash pain may be provided by neck massage.
Mind-body therapies can make a world of difference for those who are suffering from chronic pain. Exercises that incorporate gentle movements and focus on breathing, such as tai chi qi gong or yoga may help ease discomfort significantly.
What Do You Need to Do Before Your Whiplash Appointment?
A car accident can be quite traumatic, but it’s important to receive care right away. If the neck pain gets worse or if there are other symptoms after the crash like nausea, then see a doctor as soon as possible.
Mentioning an injury in this type of situation might make people suspect they have whiplash syndrome, which may not be true. It’s important to get more information on when someone would need urgent medical attention for whiplash or any other condition.
To assess whether someone may have whiplash, answer these questions in detail and describe the event that caused the symptoms:
- On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your neck pain?
- Is movement making the pain worse?
- Do you have any other symptoms?
- How long did it take for the symptoms to appear after the event?
- Do you have neck pain frequently or have you experienced it in the past?
- Have you tried medications before or other treatments to relieve the pain? If so, what was the effect?
- Any medications you take regularly, including dietary supplements and herbal medicines?
If you are suffering from whiplash, don’t get discouraged. There are plenty of home remedies and alternative medicine options that can help alleviate your symptoms without resorting to drugs or surgery. We have compiled a list above for some ideas on how to treat this condition naturally including herbal supplements, acupuncture, massage therapy, chiropractic care, and more.
We offer home remedies for whiplash that will help reduce symptoms so you can get back to living life again. Our team of experts has helped thousands to recover from their injuries without having to go through surgery. Let us show you how easy it is to feel better — call us at N8 Family Chiropractic today!
Read next article